Acne Treatment Singapore
Acne or pimple, marks, and acne scars are the skin concerns of many in Singapore. It is not just a skin condition or a phase in life that we go through growing up. Acne outbreaks can cause serious cosmetic changes on the facial skin and have a strong psychological impact on patients’ self esteem. Acne is associated with an increased risk of depression, anxiety and suicidal tendencies for some patients. Therefore there is tremendous value in the acne treatment and acne scar treatment. Acne treatment is one of the most common treatments cited in the Singapore National Skin Centre.
WHAT IS ACNE?
Acne is actually an infection of our sebaceous glands (oil-producing glands) in the skin. They are characterized as painful red pimples or bumps that can occur either at the facial skin (the cheeks, forehead, temples, chin) or other parts of the body skin like the upper back, shoulders, legs or chest. Acne leads to the destruction of skin cells and causes unsightly skin pigmentation (red marks and brown marks) and acne scarring.
What causes acne?
Most of us will have acne on our skin at one stage of our lives. This is how it happens:
Excess oil production in sebaceous glands
Blockage by dead skin cells of the pores of sebaceous glands
The buildup of bacteria (P. Acnes) in the oil glands leads to infection, redness, swelling and pus. (pimple)
Certain factors will aggravate acne condition:
Hormonal changes occur in our teenage or pregnancy that causes hypersecretion of sebaceous glands which causes and aggravates acne.
Typically family members are more prone to having acne
Certain medications like steroids can temporarily resolve acne. However, the acne may rebound when the medication is stopped
Stress or lack of sleep can lead to more acne formation
Facial mask or MASKNE
During COVID times in Singapore, wearing a facial mask is a practice that everyone in the world adopts to protect themselves. However, due to the long term wearing of masks, there might be an over-activity of sebaceous glands and blockage of glands. As a result, acne may form.
Types of Acne
Non-inflammatory acne represents the beginning stages of acne where active inflammation or bacteria infection of the acne gland has not taken place
- Blackheads or open comedones are formed when there is excessive sebum production and the gland gets swollen (forming a bump). The pores are still open, although the sebum at the entrance of the pores gets oxidised and turns black. (see diagram above) Blackheads can be easily treated with facial extraction.
- Whiteheads OR closed comedones. When the pore entrance is blocked by dead skin it becomes a whitehead or closed comedones. This appears as small raised bumps. Comedones can turn potentially turn into acne.
- Papules: The buildup of bacteria leads to infection and acne inflammation of the sebaceous glands and small red raised bumps are formed known as papules. (or pimples)
- Pustules: Inflammation of the glands leads to the destruction of skin cells and pus starts to accumulate resulting in the formation of papules.
- Nodules: As the papules grow and the pus accumulates, it becomes nodules.
- Cysts: As the nodules grow bigger, they become large pus-filled lumps known as cysts (or boils). The bigger the acne site the more extensive the damage and hence a greater degree of scaring.
Ozhean Zoey’s Skin Fit Program
Just like our fingerprints, each person’s skin is unique and different. This is why there is no fixed treatment formula for everyone.
Each skin is different in thickness. It has also a varying amount of melanin, water and haemoglobin (the common components of the skin that absorb laser energy).
“Un-customised” laser or skincare program that is insensitive to the skin type will bring about a high risk of undertreatment or overtreatment. Undertreatment leaves unsatisfactory results while over-treatment causes unnecessary complications.
SKIN FIT program by Ozhean is a trademarked program in Singapore that customises skincare and treatment care for our customers to the smallest detail. This is why Ozhean has enjoyed good success with their patients all these years.
At Ozhean Zoey, the doctors listen to your skin. This involves listening to the history of your skin condition to understand the depth of the skin issue and also to understand the possible causes.
Treatment Skin Fit For You
- At Ozhean Zoey Korean Aesthetic Clinic in Singapore, we have a wealth of database on treatment protocols that work on the skin.
- Our doctors and consultants will, after understanding your skin condition, prescribe the relevant treatment that best and comprehensively resolve your skin issues.
- One of the core principles of SKIN FIT laser program is Optimal Laser Dose. Safety is our number 1 concern for your skin. Our doctors guard this concern zealously by delivering the optimal safe dose of laser, which significantly reduces the risk of complications such as PIH.
- However, we are confident to achieve a credible and distinct result each time.
Acne Treatment FAQs
What should I expect during an acne treatment?
Typically most acne treatments in Ozhean Zoey has swift recoveries with 1-2 days of down time. (the acne may appear redder during this period) All treatments are done with topical anaesthesia, therefore Agnes and PICOMAX laser treatments are tolerable with minimal discomfort.
How quickly will I see results?
Agnes acne permanent removal and PICOMAX laser treatments and acne scar treatments’ results are best seen after a month. That is if you get the treatment done in a reliable acne clinic.
If you’re going for home remedies such as acne creams and lotions that contain benzoyl peroxide or lactic acid, you can expect your acne to fade after weeks or months. You should also avoid beauty products like make up to help the acne cream to take effect.
How much does acne treatment in Singapore cost?
Agnes acne treatments start from $1500 and PICOMAX starts from $800/session in Singapore.